After the debacle that was the Ben Simmons saga was finally resolved at the trade deadline, the 76ers felt that the addition of James Harden would help push them over the line in the East.
Joel Embiid was in rare form for the 76ers throughout the season and one could make the argument he should have been the MVP. He averaged 30.6 points, 11.7 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game for the season, but the 76ers fell short in the second round of the playoffs. Again.
The Harden contract situation will need to be resolved — and most likely will — but the 76ers are still a few pieces away from being one of the top teams in the East.
They only have one pick (23rd overall), but they’ve shown they can find a diamond in the rough at that late stage of the draft before (hello, Tyrese Maxey!).
Where does Philadelphia land in the draft order? Here is everything you need to know ahead of the 2022 NBA Draft.
76ers draft picks 2022: When does Philadelphia pick?
The 76ers own just one total pick in the 2022 NBA Draft. They will make their selection at No. 23. They do not have a selection in the second round of the draft.
The team originally sent the unprotected pick to the Brooklyn Nets as part of the blockbuster deal for James Harden before the February trade deadline.
However, the Nets had the option to defer the pick and take the Sixers’ unprotected 2023 first-rounder instead.
The 76ers traded the No. 23 pick to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for DeAnthony Melton.
76ers 2022 NBA draft order
|1||David Roddy (Colorado State)|
76ers draft needs
- Playmaking: Yes, the 76ers have James Harden and Tyrese Maxey, both of whom fill this need with the starting unit, but it’s off the bench that Philadelphia could use some added punch in this department. This brings us to the next point…
- Bench depth: The challenge for president of basketball operations Daryl Morey and general manager Elton Brand will be finding ways to improve the roster with limited assets. The draft is a good way to add solid bench depth at a limited cost.
- Shooting: Danny Green may miss the season, Furkman Korkmaz shot just 29% from 3 last year, James Harden remains a massive question mark and Seth Curry plays in Brooklyn. The 76ers desperately need some knockdown shooters to play off of Embiid.
- Plug-and-play skillset: This one might be harder to achieve, especially with such a late first-round pick, but as a championship contender the 76ers need someone who they can plug into the lineup and play. Their championship window — and Embiid’s prime — won’t last forever. They need to capitalize.
76ers mock draft 2022
Here is the latest projected pick for the 76ers, according to TSN’s Kyle Irving:
- Round 1, No. 23: Kennedy Chandler, G, Tennessee