Dark Cherry Zucchini Protein Smoothie (Vegan)
One of the most common concerns when going vegan is of course, where do you get your protein. A great protein powder helps boost post workout along with providing your essential and non-essential amino acids, BCAA’s that recovering muscles need.
This smoothie is so good and can fool any kid-detective looking for spinach in his/her smoothie. Zucchini blends down to a creamy texture. Plus zucchini has anti-inflammatory properties, high potassium, helps digestion along with being a great source of B vitamins.
Plus I find smoothies are easier to digest after a workout so my stomach is happier. I hope you give this recipe a try and report back letting me know what you think. This recipe makes one big smoothie (for me) or two smaller (for kids). Enjoy!
Dark Cherry Zucchini Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup of a nut based or other non-dairy milk
- ½ of a large zucchini, sliced quartered then sliced into chucks to blend easily
- ⅓ cup of frozen cherries, pitted
- 1 scoop of your favorite vegan protein powder (I used Vega Sport) chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax or flax and chia blend
- 1 teaspoon of maca powder
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of your favorite nut butter
- ¼ cup of crushed ice
- Toppings are optional:
- Hemp hearts
- Cacao Nibs
- Add your ingredients to the blender in the order as listed.
- Blend on the smoothie setting or highest setting for about 45 seconds to 1 minutes or until completely blended.
- Pour into a large cup and top with your favorite toppings.
One note: I’ve been using a small banana in this smoothie but if I don’t, I use 1 tablespoon of nut butter for extra creaminess.
Shared with permission from our friends at Knead To Cook.