When people think of pie, their minds tend to veer to the fruit variety, but this Chocolate Pie will end that. This recipe is luscious, rich, and completely foolproof. Unlike French Silk Pie or Chocolate Chiffon Pie, this variation is simple, basic, and a classic that everyone loves. Best of all, the decadent chocolate filling can be paired with any topping you’d like, from whipped cream to fruit and berries, nuts, chocolate or caramel sauce, chocolate shavings, crushed cookies, you name it. It’s also perfect on its own as a simple slice of classic and delicious chocolate pie.
This recipe is great for the occasional indulgence. There should be no guilt over the occasional ‘unhealthy’ treat as long as it’s eaten in moderation. It can help prevent the unhealthy cycle of yo-yo dieting and all of the mental stress that brings. However, if you’d prefer a healthier approach or you have food allergies and restrictions, try our second option featured below. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, has no refined sugar, with a vegan variation.
Whichever version you choose, you’re in a for a chocolate-y, scrumptious treat!
Easy Chocolate Pie
- 1 whole pie crust, baked and cooled (or can use Oreo or graham cracker crust)
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 c. whole milk
- 4 whole egg yolks
- 6 1/2 oz. weight bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir or whisk together.
- Pour in the milk and egg yolks, and whisk together.
- Stir over medium heat until the mixture just barely comes to a boil and becomes thick, about roughly 6–8 minutes. The second it starts to bubble and become as thick as pudding, remove it from the heat. Add the chocolate, vanilla, and butter, and stir until everything is beautifully combined.
- Pour the pudding into the pie crust and place in the fridge to chill for 4 hours uncovered.
- Cut into slices and serve with whipped cream!
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Pie with a Homemade Crust
For the homemade crust:
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 egg (see notes for vegan version)*
For the filling
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- Coconut whipped cream for serving if desired (recipe below)
To make the crust:
- Add the almond flour and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- Stir in the maple syrup and coconut oil. Mix until it reaches a soft, sandy-like texture either with a fork or by hand.
- Add the egg (or water)* and mix until a soft dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate. Press the dough into the pie dish to form thecrust. The dough may feel a little oily at this point.
- Prick the crust several times with a fork.
To par-bake the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and firm, about 15–20 minutes. Cover up the crust with foil if it turns brown too quickly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
To make the filling:
- Place all the ingredient in a saucepan and heat over low heat and stir until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a blender and blend 2–3 minutes on high.
- Pour the filing into the cooled crust and refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Decorate coconut whipped cream if desired (recipe below).
- Slice and serve.
*For an egg-free crust, replace the egg with 2–3 tbsp of cold water. The crust will be a little crumblier without the egg binding.
Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for 1–2 days minimum.
- Chill the metal mixing bowl for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the hardened coconut cream. (Store the remaining coconut water for future use in a smoothie or the like.)
- Using a hand mixer, fluff up the coconut cream for one minute. Add the maple syrup and vanilla and mix for another minute, until smooth and creamy.
- Use the coconut whipped cream right away or store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to one week.
Keep Reading: Sweet Potato Pecan Pie – 100% Dairy and Grain-Free
The post Easy Chocolate Pie with Gluten-free, Vegan, and Paleo Options appeared first on The Hearty Soul.