Jermell Charlo became the first male undisputed super-welterweight champion with a 10th-round stoppage of Brian Castano in Carson, California.
In a fight of the highest order, Charlo’s speed and power proved the difference in the end as, despite his best efforts to take it up to the American, Castano simply took too much damage.
The pair had originally fought to a majority draw in a highly entertaining bout back in July and the rematch didn’t disappoint.
Both men had their moments on this occasion, particularly through some wild back-and-forth exchanges in the middle rounds.
After a bright start from Charlo, Castano’s trademark pressure became an increasing factor in the bout as the Argentine continued to back his 31-year-old opponent up against the ropes.
Charlo however is one of best counter-punchers in the game and landed more than a few power shots of his own.
A left hook from Charlo, the Texan’s moneymaker, dropped Castano for the first time in the 10th round and another flurry was enough to end the fight shortly after, this time a lead uppercut and a follow-up hook to the body did the business for the 31-year-old.
Take a look at the finish below.
HISTORY MADE FOR @TwinCharlo 👑
— SHOWTIME Boxing (@ShowtimeBoxing) May 15, 2022
After the fight, Charlo said he was edgy to prove himself after last year’s draw with Castano.
“I felt like this was my first fight. You know when you get nervous and you get the ants in your pants, I just wanted to be in there,” Charlo said.
“I knew Castano was going to give it his all and I knew I had trained very, very hard.
“I knew once I got to this arena, fighting outside in this beautiful place, I had to get it on.”
Asked what the difference between the first fight and this one was, Charlo said he fought smarter on this occasion.
“I listened to my corner this time. I got in my bag around the seventh round, I started sitting down a little bit more, instead of boxing so much and moving around,” he said.
“I could see that he was wearing down a little bit and I was breaking him down.
“I just started seeing my punches get more effective. I get stronger by the later rounds if they didn’t know, and that’s what happened.
“Once I seen him crumble right in front of me, I was pretty sure he was going to get back up because it was the first knockdown but I knew it was over.”
Australian contender and potential title challenger at 154 pounds, Tim Tszyu, had travelled to California to get a look at the division’s best, but Charlo didn’t confirm his future plans.
“I ain’t done, I might move up to [160-lbs] and see if I can do it again,” he added.
“I don’t know what I’m going to do next.”
Great fight and great win for Charlo. Ready when you are @TwinCharlo
— Tim Tszyu (@Tim_Tszyu) May 15, 2022