The Lakers started the 2021-22 campaign with championship dreams. Their season quickly turned into a nightmare.
Despite having a roster featuring multiple players from the NBA’s 75th Anniversary Team, Los Angeles finished 33-49 overall and failed to clinch a berth in the NBA Playoffs or Play-In Tournament. Sensing a need for change, the Lakers parted ways with Frank Vogel and replaced him with Darvin Ham, who previously served as an assistant coach for the Lakers during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons.
Los Angeles remains in win-now mode, so they will be searching for players who can fit alongside LeBron James, Anthony Davis and Russell Westbrook. Perhaps Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka will find an immediate contributor on Thursday night.
Where does Los Angeles land in the draft order? Here is everything you need to know ahead of the 2022 NBA Draft.
Lakers draft picks 2022: When does Los Angeles pick?
The Lakers don’t currently have a pick in the 2022 NBA Draft. The Pelicans own their first-round pick because it was included in the Anthony Davis trade.
Here are draft assets that were sent from Los Angeles to New Orleans as part of that deal:
- 2019: No. 4 pick
- 2021: First-round pick (protected for Nos. 8-30, unprotected in 2022)
- 2023: First-round swap rights (unprotected)
- 2024: First-round pick (unprotected, option to defer to 2025)
However, it is worth noting that the Lakers are “widely known to be pursuing” a second-round pick in this year’s draft, according to Bleacher Report’s Jake Fischer, who notes that the Hawks (No. 44) and Pistons (No. 46) may be open to trading their picks.
Lakers 2022 NBA draft order
Lakers draft needs
- 3-and-D wings: Davis and Westbrook are poor 3-point shooters. James can be streaky. If that trio is going to find success, the Lakers must add players who can give their stars more space to create on the offensive end and take the tough assignments on the defensive end.
- Frontcourt depth: Davis missed more than half of the season. James played in 56 games. The Lakers can’t assume that those guys will be healthy, so they should try to snag another big man who can eat up some of the frontcourt minutes.
NBA mock draft 2022
Here are the latest projected picks for the 2022 NBA Draft, according to TSN’s Kyle Irving:
- 1. Magic: Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn
- 2. Thunder: Chet Holmgren, F/C, Gonzaga
- 3. Rockets: Paolo Banchero, F, Duke
- 4. Kings: Jaden Ivey, G, Purdue
- 5. Pistons: Shaedon Sharpe, G, Kentucky
- 6. Pacers: Keegan Murray, F, Iowa
- 7. Trail Blazers: Dyson Daniels, G, G League Ignite
- 8. Pelicans (via Lakers): Bennedict Mathurin, G, Arizona
- 9. Spurs: Jalen Duren, C, Memphis
- 10. Wizards: Johnny Davis, G, Wisconsin