It doesn’t feel like Christmas without a tree, right? Unfortunately, Christmas trees aren’t always the best for the environment, and plastic and real both have their cons. This year, consider getting creative when decking your halls with succulent Christmas trees.
Succulent Christmas Trees
These beautiful decorations can be either small centerpieces or larger trees. They are easy to take care of, don’t require much decoration, and can be used over and over as long as you keep them alive.
Succulent Christmas trees are completely customizable, as well. You get to choose the size, which succulents you want to use, and how much or how little you want to decorate it.
How to Make DIY Succulent Christmas Trees
This project is much simpler than you think, so if you’re not much of a gardener or an arts-and-crafts person, don’t worry. We’ve got you covered.
- Sphagnum moss
- A cone frame (you can buy one or make one easily out of chicken wire)
- Breathable fabric liner (optional)
- Mix of potted succulents (think different sizes, shapes, and colors)
- Shallow pot or bowl
- Succulent potting mix
- A star for the top (or another type of tree-topping ornament)
- Pre-soak the moss. You want it to be moist before you make your tree.
- If your cone isn’t pre-made, make your cone. You will need pliers in order to bend the wire to keep the cone together.
- If you choose to use a liner, line the inside of the cone with the fabric, making sure the edges overlap.
- Stuff the cone with the moss, making sure to squeeze out the extra water as you go.
- Stand your now full frame in your pot with the rest of the moss. Plant larger succulents in the corners.
- Fill the rest of the pot with potting mix.
- Cut slits in the fabric and inert your succulents, filling in the hole with extra moss to keep the succulents secured. Do the larger ones first, then fill in the gaps with smaller succulents and cuttings. Fill until the tree is covered.
- Top with your tree-topper.
As you can see, this really is quite simple to do. If you are unsure as to how to care for your succulent tree properly, inquire at your local florist for tips and tricks to keeping your tree alive and healthy.
The post Succulent Christmas Trees Are A Gorgeous And Sustainable Alternative To Traditional Firs appeared first on The Hearty Soul.