The Premier League announced its fixtures for the 2022/23 season on Thursday.
Fulham, Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest will join the action after winning promotion from the Championship, while Manchester City will look to make it five titles out of six after being pushed all the way by Liverpool last time around.
The first of 380 fixtures will come when Crystal Palace host Arsenal on August 5.
That’s the earliest date a Premier League season has ever kicked off, with the move forward on account of the November-December staging of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Ahead of all the upcoming fun and games on matchday one, The Sporting News dug into the data behind the Premier League opening weekend, with all the key stats and facts below.
Premier League opening day stats and current records
- The biggest victory ever recorded on the opening day of a Premier League campaign came in 2010/11 when Chelsea demolished West Bromwich Albion 6-0.
- Only 10 players have scored a hat-trick on the opening day of the season: Coventry City duo Mick Quinn and Dion Dublin, Southampton’s Matt Le Tissier, Middlesbrough’s Fabrizio Ravanelli, Forest’s Kevin Campbell, Aston Villa’s Gabriel Agbonlahor, Chelsea’s Didier Drogba, Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling, Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah and Manchester United’s Bruno Fernandes.
- Alan Shearer, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney jointly hold the record for scoring the most goals in Premier League openers, each netting eight times. Salah and Jamie Vardy could equal that record this season as they sit on seven.
- Last season, thanks to a 74th-minute strike against Norwich City, Liverpool’s Salah before the first player in Premier League history to score on five consecutive opening weekends.
- The only team to remain unbeaten across their past 10 Premier League openers are Everton (W4, D6).
- At the other end of the spectrum, Southampton are the team who currently find themselves on the longest winless streak across top-flight openers, not winning any of the previous eight and losing the most recent three (D4, L4).
Which 2022/23 Premier League team has the best win ratio on the opening matchday in competition history?
|West Ham United||26||11||1||14||42.3%|
Brentford hold a 100% winning record on the opening day after defeating Arsenal 2-0 last season on their top-flight debut. Of teams that have played in more than one Premier League season, newly promoted Nottingham Forest actually hold the strongest winning percentage, winning four out of five.
Spare a thought for Southampton fans, who have remarkably only ever seen their side win two of their 23 previous opening Premier League fixtures.
2022/23 opening Premier League matchday fixtures
Crystal Palace vs. Arsenal
- Arsenal begin their season away to Crystal Palace, a side they’ve beaten just once across their past eight Premier League meetings (D5, L2).
- Overall, Arsenal have only ever lost three of their 24 competitive away matches against Palace (W13, D8), though that includes a 3-0 defeat at Selhurst Park last season.
- These two sides have only met on matchday one of a Premier League season once before. That came in 2014, with Arsenal winning 2-1 at Emirates Stadium thanks to goals from Aaron Ramsey and Laurent Koscielny.
- When opening a PL campaign on the road, Arsenal’s record stands at W5, D3, L2.
Fulham vs. Liverpool
- Liverpool open up the 2022/23 PL season with a trip to Craven Cottage to face newly-promoted Fulham, a side they haven’t beaten in back-to-back top-flight matches (D1, L1).
- That said, the Reds remain four unbeaten against Fulham at Craven Cottage (W3, D1) and have only been kept off the scoresheet once across their past nine PL away matches versus Fulham.
- These two sides have never met on the opening day of a top-flight season before, though this fixture does represent the fourth season in a row that Liverpool have played the prior campaign’s Championship winners on the opening weekend.
- Liverpool new signing Fabio Carvalho could make his debut after joining Jurgen Klopp’s from Fulham over the summer. He scored 12 goals and grabbed 8 assists in 44 appearances for the London side in 2021/22.
Bournemouth vs. Aston Villa
- This will be just the sixth competitive meeting between these two sides. Bournemouth have won three of the four previous Premier League head-to-head clashes, with all of those victories coming via a 2-1 scoreline.
- Bournemouth’s only previous loss to Villa in the top-flight did come on matchday one of the 2015/16 campaign however, a 1-0 defeat courtesy of a Rudy Gestede header.
- Aston Villa also played a newly promoted side on the opening weekend last season, losing 3-2 in an action-packed visit to Watford.
Newcastle United vs. Nottingham Forest
- These two famous clubs have only met eight times in Premier League history, with Newcastle remaining unbeaten across that stint (W5, D3).
- The Magpies have a combined scoreline of 15-4 in their favour, while they’ve also won four out of four on home soil 12-2 on aggregate.
- This will be Forest’s first top-flight fixture since they won 1-0 at home to local rivals Leicester City in May 1999. A week prior to that, they won 2-1 on the road at Blackburn Rovers, who were also relegated that season.
Leicester City vs. Brentford
- Leicester have won all four of their competitive matches against Brentford, with both in the Premier League last season coming via a 2-1 scoreline thanks to James Maddison winners.
- The Foxes have scored in each of those four previous clashes, though they’ve also failed to register a clean sheet in the most recent three.
Tottenham vs. Southampton
- Spurs have only lost four of their previous 23 home PL matches against Southampton, winning by an aggregate scoreline of 55-26.
- That said, the north Londoners lost this exact fixture last season in dramatic fashion, going down 3-2 on account of a late Che Adams winner.
- These two sides have met on the opening day of a PL season once before, all the way back during the 1992/93 campaign where they played out a 0-0 stalemate at the Dell.
Leeds United vs. Wolves
- Leeds’ dramatic 3-2 win at Molineux last season was their first victory over Wolves in seven attempts.
- Across their past four head-to-head competitive matches, Leeds have netted just once against Wolves.
- Leeds have lost their previous two opening Premier League fixtures after gaining promotion back to the English top-flight in 2019/20. Those defeats to Liverpool and Manchester United come in contrast to their run of not losing on the opening day of a Premier League season throughout their prior 14 campaigns.
Everton vs. Chelsea
- Chelsea begin their Premier League season with a trip to Goodison Park to face Everton. The Londoners have lost their past four away PL meetings with the Toffees, scoring just one goal.
- In fact, Chelsea have won just once at Goodison Park across their previous eight visits (D1, L6).
- These two sides have only met once on matchday one, playing out a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge in 1995.
- Chelsea’s opening day Premier League record when playing away from home remains strong, however (W7, D2, L3).
Manchester United vs. Brighton
- Manchester United open their 2022/23 campaign by welcoming Brighton to Old Trafford, a side they’ve beaten in all five of their previous home Premier League head-to-head matches.
- In each of the past four home meetings, United have scored at least two goals.
- When opening a new Premier League campaign at Old Trafford, Manchester United have only lost once, a 2-1 defeat to Swansea in 2014 (W13, D3).
- For the sixth straight campaign, Manchester United are playing their opening Premier League fixture on home soil, the longest current such streak of any side.
West Ham vs. Manchester City
- Manchester City open up the 2022/23 season with a trip to face West Ham, a side they remain unbeaten against in their past 13 PL meetings (W10, D3).
- City are also seven unbeaten away to West Ham in the Premier League, scoring a staggering average of 3.14 goals per game. West Ham last managed to keep a home clean sheet against City since November 2012, although the two most recent editions of this fixture in east London were both draws.
- City have played away to West Ham on the opening day of a PL season twice previously, winning 2-0 back in August 2007 before winning 5-0 on matchday one of the 2019/20 campaign thanks to goals from Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus and a hat-trick from Raheem Sterling.
- Erling Haaland has previously scored on his competition debut in the Bundesliga, the UEFA Champions League and the DFB-Pokal. He remarkably netted hat-tricks on both his German top-flight and Champions League bows.
— Erling Haaland (@ErlingHaaland) June 13, 2022