The X Factor will not return this year, an insider has confirmed.
According to reports, Simon Cowell is set to take 12 months off, with the show to return in 2021.
A TV insider told The Sun: “Simon wants to really think through the show and how to reinvigorate it for the future.
“Although The X Factor is contracted for one more series, ITV totally understand the rationale behind the idea of resting it this year and want to give Simon and the team the time to do what they feel is right.”
The show has been running on ITV for 16 years and has been watched by the nation at prime time on Saturday evenings.
According to The Sun, the 60-year-old judge and creator of the programme signed a new deal to air Britain’s Got Talent until 2024 which included a 2020 version of X Factor.
But reports have said that he music mogul now wants to lay the show to rest to see whether there is any life in the old format before attempting to bring it back. A number of changes have been made over the years in a bid to boost viewing figures.
Last year, two revamps were introduced in the format of X Factor: Celebrity as well as X Factor: The Band.
The 41-year-old singer was on stage with her old band-mates for the first time in ten years, and they certainly made an entrance back into the limelight.
The girls were wearing mesh and pleather outfits – which some felt didn’t leave that much to the imagination – and had a choreographed routine to go with it. They ended the show by being soaked in water.
One viewer said: “It’s disgusting and kids are watching this. Why is it okay to wear stuff like this and dance provocatively in front of kids… It’s disturbing.”
While another praised their outfits, posting: “Everyone saying that the Pussycat dolls were dressed too sexy on The X Factor last night. If I had their figures I would dress like that on a daily basis! Good on them!”